It always seems to be so hard to stay away from snacks or even find a healthy snack for children. Many of the brands you find at the stores have way too many additives to count and are unhealthy choices for snacks. I really enjoy fruit flavored gummies and sweets so instead of eating the bad ones you can make your own healthy version that even the kids will love. You can add in basically any type of fruit you like and even make combinations of fruits. I made this one and unfortunately it was gone by the end of the day. I will admit I played a part in the disappearance of this fruit leather but our daughter was the main culprit. Now my problem is limiting how much healthy snacks she can eat… only to save room for major meals of course! Here is the recipe
- -Fruits of your choice (I used strawberries and green grapes)
- -for additional sweetness you can add some honey, agave nectar, or stevia based on your preference
- 1.Preheat oven to the lowest setting (under 150 is best but may not always be an option). Line a cookie sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper, some even say you can use plastic wrap but I have not tried it yet. (unfortunately the parchment paper seems to dry out the fruit leather a lot, so Silpat would probably be the better option)
- 2. Blend fruits in a blender until completely smooth, add in natural sweetener if desired and blend again.
- 3. Pour Fruit mixture into the cookie sheet with a desired thickness of about 1/4".
- 4. Place in the oven and bake for 6-8 hours. (You will be able to see a color difference and feel the texture difference from the cooked fruit leather and the uncooked portions) (Wait until its entirely cooked)
- 5. Remove from oven and cool. Once fully cooled down you can peel it off and cut it intro strips, roll it up, and even wrap it in parchment paper. (They will probably all be gone before you know it!)