Tis the season for some massive, uncomfortable, stuffy nosed, itchy eyes, itchy mouth and throat, sneezing, coughing, red eyed, swollen throat ALLERGIES! Some of us get the worst of it, others not so much. Me, well I got the worst of it this year and the past week has been brutal! I hate taking any kinds of pills and after 4-5 days of feeling completely useless I gave in and took some allergy pills. Yet I don’t know how on earth I would have made it past those horrid 4-5 days without some natural remedies, and I’m still doing them in hopes to help me through the subsided version of my continual allergies because needless to say the allergy pills don’t help as much as they are said to. It has been SO darn windy lately and I also realized we have our cats baths the other day and they have been licking themselves all over the house (which when people have allergies towards cats it’s usually the saliva humans are allergic to) go figure. So in my misery of franticly doing anything I could think of or find related to allergy relief I decided to spare you the research and give you a nice little list of your natural options. 🙂
here are some natural ways to get some decent allergy relief
1. Eat a spoonful a day of local, raw, organic, unpasteurized honey (this won’t give you immediate relief but it is said that within a couple of weeks it will help reduce your allergies.)
2. Local Bee Pollen (Bee Pollen is basically pollen from local flowers that bee’s have collected and mixed with nectar) This one also takes time and when you first take it, you NEED to start with a teeny tiny amount and gradually increase over time. You are basically building your body’s immunity to specific pollen allergies by taking the pollen
3. Peppermint ( tea, herbs, essential oils) Peppermint helps clear your nose up for a short amount of time. I have bee drinking a couple herbal peppermint teas a day, and have been using the essential oils in my baths, showers, on my feet etc.
4. Eucalyptus essential oil – this too clears up your nose quite well. I have been putting a drop of eucalyptus and peppermint oil on my pillow every night which generally keeps my nose pretty clear while I sleep 🙂
5. Hot bath with Epsom salts- Also clears up your sinus and is detoxifying so that’s a bonus
6. Neti pot with saline solution-This is my total life saver, a neti pot is a little pot that you use to pour saline solution mixed with water into one side of your nose and let the water come of out the other size. It takes a little bit to get your nose clear but by far this is the best thing to have you breathing through your nose again. Make sure to Always use Distilled water and a clean Neti Pot!
7. Hot teas- This helps clear your nasal passage and soothes your throat and swollen glands
8. Hot soups-Same result as hot tea
9. Salt or baking soda gargle- In the mornings allergies can be the worst and I always found gargling with baking soda helpful because it helps clear up and mucus buildup in the back of your throat and actually eases any inflammation caused by the mucus from your nose going into your throat this also helped ease my throat feeling so itchy
10. Dust filters-This would be more of a preventative for future allergies but when buying filters for your AC unit look for the hepa(High-efficiency particulate air) filter which majorly helps with reducing allergens. If you also have an air purifier at home make sure it is hepa as well.
11. Vacuuming and dusting- Dust is a huge culprit when it comes to allergies so make sure to vacuum and dust regularly.
12. Water- Water is beneficial for anything so make sure you are drinking enough water throughout the day
13. Raw fruits and veggies- Having the proper amount of vitamins and minerals in your body helps your immune system handle things better. I personally have seen major results when eating a lot of raw fruits and vegetables and noticed my allergies decrease majorly.
14. Hot steam inhalation- When making my teas and even just with chamomile I inhale the hot steam from the teas which helps soothe your throat as well as helps with inflammation.
15. Spirulina- is said to also help ease allergies overtime if you take it daily.
Please note that I am not a doctor, nor do I pretend to be one. It is best to speak with your medical professional before deciding to make any changes in your lifestyle. Please read my full disclaimer here .